FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How much does it cost to participate in the TeenWorks summer program?
The TeenWorks program is free for all Summer participants. In fact, teens and adult employees are paid for their work during the TeenWorks program.
- Do teens have to meet special requirements to apply?
All Indianapolis (Marion County) and Muncie (Delaware County) teens between the ages of 15-18 are eligible to apply for TeenWorks. TeenWorks does require that teens earn a minimum of a 2.5 GPA during the academic year and be on free and reduced lunch to be eligible for the summer program.
- I don’t have reliable transportation every day. Can I still participate?
Yes! TeenWorks provides free transportation from many neighborhood high schools to and from the program sites daily during the summer program.
- My child has never held a job or participated in a summer program before. Should s/he still apply?
Yes! In fact, TeenWorks is the first paid work experience for many of the teens who participate. Every team of 11-13 teens receives direct supervision and support from at least two members of TeenWorks staff who are committed to their team, so your teen will have the guidance they need for a successful experience.
- What kinds of work do the TeenWorks teens do during the summer program?
We strive to provide work experiences related to a variety of careers, so each TeenWorks team works at a different community-based site. We do our best to match each teen’s interests with their worksite placement, where some teams learn how to manage an urban farm while others learn to rebuild computers or complete landscaping and environmental management projects. Regardless of each team’s daily worksite, all TeenWorks teens participate in volunteer activities like helping out at the local foodbank so that they have the opportunity to give back to the community. Learn more about our Community Worksites.
- My organization has a lot of projects that the TeenWorks teens could help with. Can I host a TeenWorks team?
TeenWorks is always looking for new partnerships and new sites where our teens can work and learn during the summer program. Contact us to talk with our staff about how we can work together.
- If my organization hosts a TeenWorks team in the Summer, are we responsible for paying the teens for their work?
No. 100% of the program costs, including teen wages, are provided by TeenWorks. In fact, TeenWorks also provides necessary work materials, meals, and transportation to allow our teens to arrive each day ready to make the most of their work with you.
- I am currently involved with TeenWorks and I have a question or concern. Who should I contact?
We would love to hear from you! If you participate in TeenWorks, please contact our Program Director at 317-916-7858 for additional information or assistance.
- How much does it cost to participate in TeenWorks Pro?
Similarly to the TeenWorks Summer Program, TeenWorks Pro is free of cost to teens!
- Do teens have to meet special requirements to participate in TeenWorks Pro?
All TeenWorks Pro participants must have previously been employed during a TeenWorks summer program to be eligible.
- What does participation in TeenWorks Pro include?
- Comprehensive Services: A chance for you to engage with a Program Manager, year round job placements, and year round professional development.
- How does TeenWorks Pro affect scholarship eligibility?
In order to be eligible for our TeenWorks scholarships, students must participate in a summer program as well as TeenWorks Pro, regularly attending mandatory professional development.
- I am currently involved with TeenWorks Pro and I have a question or a concern. Who should I contact?
We would love to hear from you! If you participate in TeenWorks Pro in either Indianapolis or Muncie, please contact us at [email protected] or via phone at 317-916-7858.
- When do I officially become a TeenWorks Alumni?
Any participant that completes at least one Summer Program session and a full program year of TeeWorks Pro (August to July of the program year) before graduation will be considered a TeenWorks Alumni.
- When should I complete the TeenWorks Scholarship Application? When is the scholarship App deadline?
All TeenWorks Alumni candidates can begin completing the TeenWorks Scholarship application in early November of their Senior year in high school. Please see the CICF website for specific dates on the deadline as well.
- Where do I need to go to apply for the TeenWorks Scholarship?
Any qualifying Alumni candidate can go to the CICF website at: https://www.cicf.org/ . Go to the “Scholarships” tab and choose applying for scholarships. Please take time to read the entire web page as it also has a great questions and answer section.
- Will I still qualify for the scholarship if I choose to complete a Trade Certification/License?
Yes! The TeenWorks Scholarship can also go towards paying for Indiana Trade Schools as well!
- Will all TeenWorks applicants get a scholarship?
No. While we hope for all of our participants to pursue post secondary training or education, the TeenWorks Scholarship is a competitive, needs and merit based scholarship. It will be important that you are a strong candidate with a complete application by the deadline.
- Is there an age requirement for the YES Program?
Yes. The age requirement for the YES program is 18 to 24 years old.
- Is the YES program a program where high school 18 year olds can participate?
No. The YES program is strictly for those out of school youth between the ages of 18-24.
- How do I connect to the TeenWorks YES provider?
Contact LaToya Morrow at O: 317-916-7962 or C: 317-619-4523.
- Other questions, comments or concerns? Contact us at (317)916-7858